If you’ve been wanting to master the art of digital collage and compositing, then this is your opportunity! Learn the art and technique of making magnificent and powerful digital collage portraits of people, places or events, using Corel Painter 2015 software on Mac or PC and a Wacom pen tablet. The lessons will include thorough, step-by-step, detailed, practical instruction and take you through the whole process I use in my real life collage projects, from inspiration and source image acquisition and organization, through to image completion, production and display. In this course you will learn how to make effective collage compositions, to create a visual hierarchy of content, to master the management and manipulation of multiple layers and create amazing artworks, plus detailed techniques, workflow and mechanics of working with Corel Painter 2015.
The main bulk of this video training will be recorded live during three days of GoToTraining online sessions on December 15, 16 and 17, 2014, with two sessions per day, 10am – noon and 2pm – 4pm PST. The tuition fee for participating in this live three day online training is $240, which includes a copy of the recording of each online session. Attendance is limited to 25 “live” seats. If you wish to register please click on this link:
I will post the session recordings at the end of each day of the live training so if you wish to participate but cannot attend every session you’ll be able to catch up. These recordings will be made available for purchase after the live workshop is complete. Participants in the live sessions will benefit from live real time interaction (via GoToTraining) and individual attention, assistance and feedback.
During the training I will be sharing a number of different projects as case studies, including the Wedding Day Collage Painting of Annette and Hanson that you see shown above.
Topics That Will be Covered
FOUNDATIONAL PHASE – PREP & PLANNING
1. Introduction, What is Collage Portraiture, Why Collage Portraiture, Art & Design Principles
2. Analysis of Collage Portrait Examples – How Art & Design Principles Have Been Applied
3. Preparation – The Tools, Materials & Media You Will Need and How to Optimize and Customize Your Tools for Maximum Efficiency
4. Creating a Plan – Begin with Inspiration and a Strong Story
5. Collecting Your Imagery – Source Image Research & Acquisition
6. Organizing your Source Images – Creating a Visual Hierarchy of Content, Choosing Your Base Background and Main Foundational Image
CONSTRUCTIONAL PHASE – PRODUCTION
7. Template Creation – Determining Template Size and Constructing Your Template
8. Making Selections – Techniques and Tools
9. Copying and Pasting – From a Secondary Image into the Working Template
10. Mastering the Management and Manipulation of Multiple Layers – Controlling, Organizing and Adjusting Layers
11. Cloning Techniques – Creating and Utilizing Clone Source Templates, Additive versus Subtractive Image Mixing
12. Texture Techniques – Capturing, Saving and Applying Custom Papers
13. Final Digital Touches – Painting & Resolving Until Ready for Printing
14. Printing – File Preparation and Substrate/Size/Media Choices and Resources
15. Post-Print Techniques & Considerations – Gelling, Painting
PRESENTATIONAL PHASE – POST-PRODUCTION
16. Installation and Presentation Considerations – Mounting, Framing, Labelling and Lighting
What equipment/software/tools/resources will I need to follow this training?
Ideally you will have a Mac or PC with the latest version of Painter 2015 and a Wacom tablet with the latest Wacom driver installed. The tutorials are all made using Painter 2015, including use of my latest Painter 2015 workspace which you can download from the Painter Extras section of this site.
What level of Painter user do I need to be?
This is an intermediate level Video Workshop and assumes basic familiarity with the Painter 2015 interface, brushes and menus (which are all explained in the Painter 2015 Basics series on this site).
How might I use the techniques I learn in this workshop?
For portraying people, places or events in a unique and deep way that tells a story in time and space. Examples could include wedding collages, tribute portraits, family celebrations, corporate and client commissions, personal work.
How is this different from the earlier Art of Collage Portraiture DVD?
The earlier title was based on using Painter IX whereas this Video Workshop uses the latest version of Painter, Painter 2015. In addition this new training includes the application of collage techniques to depicting and capturing an event such as a wedding, as well as applied to an individual, whereas the earlier one was only focused on a portrait of a single individual. Many of the techniques, for instance use of layer masks, templates, custom textures, etc, mirror what I showed in my earlier Art of Collage Portraiture DVD but adapted, of course, to using the latest tools in Painter 2015.
How is the content of this different from what I can learn from the regular PaintboxTV videos?
This course will address the complete digital workflow from image capture to final digital touches and empower you to create your own magnificent collage portrait paintings. It will include longer and more in-depth videos than regular PaintboxTV tutorial videos. PaintboxTV serves as a valuable and highly recommended complement to this Video Workshop that will keep you up-to-date and support you in implementing the lessons you learn from this Video Workshop.
If you still have any questions please feel free to email me (firstname.lastname@example.org).